- Cuisine: Filipino
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
- 1 (3 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 3 bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE TOPPINGS
- 4 hardboiled eggs, peeled and halved
- fried garlic bits
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- calamansi or lemon, cut into wedges
- fish sauce
- FOR THE FRIED GARLIC BITS
- ½ cup oil
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
Trim unwanted fat from chicken, wash and drain well.
In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, until limp and aromatic.
Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and have rendered juices. Add fish sauce and continue to cook for around 1 to 2 minutes.
Add rice and cook, stirring regularly, until rice starts to lightly brown. Add water and bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats to surface. Add bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve. Lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice has softened and the congee has thickened to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle on bowls. Add boiled egg and garnish with green onions and toasted garlic. Serve hot with calamansi and additional fish sauce on the side.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe